Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Mom's Funeral...

Last week we kept really busy to produce a memorable funeral for my Mom. Dawn did an excellent job decorating the church with pictures and objects that reminded us all of the life of Kat Bean. It looked really good. On Wednesday we had a viewing and I couldn't believe the turn out. Holy cow!!! My Mom was really popular. The line stretched around the church and almost to the doors. It may have been out the doors at one point. It was about an hour and a half wait standing in that line. I saw a bunch of old friends of mine as well as some old neighbors that were great friends of my Mom and Dad. Though it was nice to see old faces, I couldn't enjoy myself. I felt very anxious all night and I just wanted to go for a drive or something.

On Thursday we had the funeral. It started with another viewing an hour before which had another huge turnout. Then we shut the doors for our final goodbyes. It was a very sad experience to know I was looking at my Mom's face for the last time. I placed her pin she received when I became an Eagle Scout in her hand and said my goodbyes. We closed the casket and the funeral began. Each of my siblings and I were asked to talk at the funeral. We each prepared a tribute for her. We gave them in chronological order starting with my oldest sister Jenn. In each of our speeches we said how we all thought of ourselves as our Mom's true best friend. It was an appropriate joke considering the fact that she was a best friend to each of us on unique and personal levels. My brother, Adam and I played the song he wrote for her in Peru. It was fun to play for a huge crowd. I don't think I've done that before. After we all delivered our tributes and the audience was nice and sad, we drove up to the cemetery. Adam dedicated the grave and we all placed our Livestrong bracelets on the casket. It was a nice day and the cemetery looked peaceful and calm. After the graveside service, we went back to the church for a lunch prepared by some ward members. By the time we were done eating we were all ready to just crash and sleep for the rest of the day. But we still had to clean up the church which brought me down. But we cleaned it fast and I went home and took a long nap. Busy day.









Thanks to everyone who came to show their support.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

What a handsome picture of the 3 Dorius men. I can see the strength there. So many people love your mom. Keep on going, Josh!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

So many great pictures.

Angela Strong said...

I was out of town for the funeral and was sad to have missed such a wonderful tribute to dear Kathy. I still read your blog and am grateful for the pictures and words you shared. It helped me to mourn your mother and my sweet neighbor. May the Lord bless and keep all of you through this difficult time.

CEA-CRA said...

Great pictures. Great comments. I hate the words "coffin" and "casket". Our little grandaughter said her grandpa was in a "treasure chest" when he passed away. It always makes me smile a little. Sorry about the strange feelings you are all going through. Although they never really go away, things do get better over time. I am so impressed with the way all of you were so there for your mom and dad. Your dad will really need your support for some time to come, but I'm sure he can count on all of you. Keep on keeping on!
Carol Allred

The Gatherum Family said...

The funeral was truly beautiful. I couldn't keep my emotions in check. YOu guys are an amazing family. I love the pictures. Thinking of you today and hoping you are doing as well as can be expected.

Dawn said...

Hi Joshie!!
How are you today??
I am thinking about you and everyone. Mom has consumed my me. She is my every thought. I think of her (and our family) when I first wake up, all day long, and then it is my last thought before I fall asleep. I know we will be OK, but it sure doesn't feel that way.
Thanks for helping with my kids today. That is what family is all about. Helping each other!!
I miss you all, especially today. Love you!

The Scooby Family said...

Josh, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. She was a great lady and I loved her so much. She helped me in Primary and when I started Young Womens. I was so sad when your guys house went up for sale cause I loved seeing your family. I actually just found out and saw it through Kami's blog and called to tell my mom. We are so sorry. Keep in touch and may the lord bless you.
Heather Zeller.