Friday, August 22, 2008

This Week's Update: Adam vs The Wasps

This week we kept pretty busy. The sadness comes in waves and when it comes, it comes with a terrible vengeance. It will hit me with a memory of fun times I had with my Mom. One in particular was one time I was driving her to Huntsman before she was really sick and she was singing Beatles songs with me and showing me where she grew up. Just me and her out for a good drive. Then we got to Huntsman and her mood changed. Realization set in as she saw the patients entering the building and she became very scared. This memory just seems to sum up what happened to her over the last few months of her life. These memories creep into my mind and I need to leave the room and "let it out." But for the most part this week we are enjoying the company of each other in our family. Manda, Dawn and I have hung out a lot this week. Going to lunch, hangin with the kids, the usual. It feels like it did before cancer. Except for the absence of my Mom. The other day we fed the horse that lives behind us and Tobe was really scared but excited to be that close to the the big animal. It was funny.



Today is Megan's birthday and her Mom came to visit from South Carolina and I'm always happy to see her. I miss her these days. While Meg has been at work I have been helping my Dad get the trailer ready for our trip to Payson next week. It's the 79th Annual Onion Days Celebration which means a weekend full of carnival rides, dutch oven cuisine, golf, boating, and a little "family overload." But nothing I can't handle. It will be the first without Mom so we'll see how that goes. My prediction is it will be sad but everything seems better when we are all together so I'm sure we'll get through it feeling ok. It'll be fun. So back to the trailer - my Dad has been de-winterizing it so it will be ready next week. He asked me to climb up to the roof and remove the cover from the air conditioner. As I began to untie the tightening rope from the cover I noticed a wasp crawl out from under it. Then another. Then another. They swarmed me with a warning threat and I retreated. Coward. My Dad went to the garage to look for some bee killer but no luck. So Adam and I went to the store to get some. I found a can of the poison and on the label it said it shoots 27 feet of the stuff, killing on impact. Sweet! We got home and Adam wanted to do honors. He suited up in his Peruvian hoody with the hood pulled tight over his head. He whipped the cover back from the air conditioner and began to aim the can on them. As he shot they attacked. He ran, not back towards the ladder but to the roof of our house and he jumped. He had dropped the can next to the hive and he was cowering on the roof under the swarm. He rushed back dodging wasp after wasp and grabbed the can and emptied the thing on the nest. The attacking wasps began to fall as the poison sunk in to their systems. They were loosing the battle. I threw a stick up to him. He caught it and rushed to the nest. He swiped it several times until it was reduced to rubble. He had won.



5 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh I would have given money to see this!!! ;) I love it!

I am glad you updated. I keep looking for you to post. I think, in some sort of weird way, I look to your post to find out how we all did that week. You sum it up perfectly. Days seems so long and full of tears, but when I realize another week went by, I become proud of us all for getting through it and notice good things are happening around us.

You are so good to remind us that:
*there are great people around us who continue to do good things
*funny moments ARE occurring in our lives
*and together we are getting over this mountain placed before us.

Thanks Joshie!!

amanda said...

Oh I wish I could have been there:) Dad has quite the army he's working with there. You boys are so funny.

And thanks for posting. Just because mom died doesn't mean you did. Keep updating this because if I move I will NEED it.
Love you!!

Debbie said...

The bees seem bad this year. I always marvel how a little insect can make a whole family run for the hills. But T.R. is so allergic to bee-stings that we all run with hiim! Nice to hear from you Josh.

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you and Megan this weekend. I know it's so hard to be without your mom. I've been missing you too, Josh. I'm so proud of all of you for getting through this!

Ellen

amanda said...

funy josh and adum sry i kciduv dot no haoo to ryd oor saoodaoot