Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers Day

Today was Fathers Day. My Mom wasn't feeling her best and there was a huge family party in the works so most of us were feeling a little nervous. I guess we didn't want to bombard her. Saturday was pretty rough for her. None of us visited her all day because she was so tired. (She hasn't been sleeping too well.) Dawn went over for a visit Saturday evening and said she didn't look like she was getting better. So today must have been overwhelming for her.

The party started at around 5:00 and our whole family started to file into the house. We cooked BBQ and had a nice time with each others' company. Someone was missing though. My Mom spent the whole time in her bedroom. Since her immune system is much weaker these days, due to the chemo, she was advised to stay away from children who might be sick. We all took our turns checking up on her though. She had a few visits from her friends and extended family. Also her sister Barb stopped by with her two kids, Chris and Megan. She visited until about 8:30 so we figured she would be wiped out. Luckily my sister Jenn stayed with her to give her a back rub. That helped her relax and I think it kept her going through the day.

Photobucket

After she was done visiting we were ready to give my Dad his Fathers Day gifts. This usually happens in my parents' living room but tonight was different. We all crowded into their bedroom so my Mom could be a part of it. We pulled out some folding chairs and piled onto their bed so we could all fit. Aaron (my brother-in-law) brought my Mom some surgical masks to protect her from the "deadly" grandchildren. It was great.

Photobucket

Tonight was just another example of how great my family is. We are so close. I can always rely on my sisters for advice or anything in general that I need help with and they never complain. I can always call them if I am feeling bummed out and I always feel better after talking to them. For some strange reason I never feel more relaxed than when we are all together for family parties. (Even with all their kids running around. This feeling may not be mutual since I don't have kids yet.) They have all told me this week how helpful I have been for my Mom but I just hope they all know how much they have helped me. I love you guys. : ) Thanks for staying positive. We will get through this.

I would also like my Dad to know how proud of him I am. This was a rough weekend but he has stayed strong and kept his spirits high. He takes such great care of my Mom. He puts her before everything. He never lets work get in the way of his family and I have learned a lot from him one what's really important. I love you Dad. Stay strong. Happy Fathers Day!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Annother wonderful post from Josh!

I, too, am proud of your Dad. He "is there". Your family is one of the best.

amanda said...

Thanks Josh. It was weird not having mom amongst the crowd but we are lucky she is still here. We have to remember that everyday is a gift. We do have the BEST family ever!!!!

The Gatherum Family said...

The crummy days are so hard, but they help you to appreciate and treasure the really great days. I am glad that in spite of everything, you guys still had a good day.

Becky, yep said...

I love that you are all relishing in the whole family experiences! Glad it was a great Father's Day!