Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Mom's Obituary...

Katherine Bean Dorius:



Katherine Bean Dorius 1949 ~ 2008 Kathy Dorius, 59, passed away July 27, 2008 at her home in Draper, Utah of melanoma. Born February 28, 1949 in Salt Lake City, to Ralph James and Helen Coray Bean. She graduated from Highland High School and the University of Utah with a degree in speech therapy. She loved dancing especially with the Utah Civic Ballet Company. On September 4, 1968, Kathy married her childhood sweetheart, Earl F. Dorius, in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Together they raised four beautiful daughters who inherited their mother's love of dance, and two wonderful sons. She was an active member of the LDS Church and served in many ward and stake positions including Relief Society President, Young Women's President, Activities Chairman, and Ward Missionary. She also choreographed many church musical productions. She loved serving others. She was a speech therapist and also worked with children with special needs in the Granite and Jordan School Districts. She was the Office Manager at Aspen Ridge Dental, and served as the Executive Secretary of the Utah All-Breeds Horse Show Association and the National Association of Extradition Officials. But most of all, she loved being a stay-at-home mom while raising her six children. Kathy was the most kind and selfless person who was adored by everyone who knew her. She would do anything for her children, and each one considered her their best friend. The Dorius home was a gathering place where the children brought all of their friends. Kathy gladly hosted these gatherings and made life a party for everyone. She had the uncanny ability of remembering the name of every person she ever met, and memorizing their phone numbers. She rarely had need for a phone directory. She loved family traditions like trips to Disneyland, Balboa Beach, and the family condo in St. George, hosting brunches on Christmas morning, dinners at the Pagoda Restaurant, and the annual family pilgrimage to Payson, Utah to camp in the trailer and celebrate Onion Days every Labor Day weekend. She loved to travel, and especially enjoyed touring England and Wales where her husband had served his LDS mission. She is survived by her husband, Earl, Draper, UT; children, Jennifer Allen (Scott), Sandy, UT; Dawn Hall (Aaron), Sandy, UT; Ashley Marsee (Robert), Layton, UT; Amanda Hatch (Brett), Lehi, UT; Joshua Dorius (Megan), South Jordan, UT; and Adam Dorius, Draper, UT; sister, Barbara Bean Daly, Salt Lake; sister-in-law, Ruth Ellen Bean, and 17 grandchildren: Jessica, Tanner, Sam, Mackenzie, Mackay, Hayden, Taylor, Rustyn, Kamryn, Neil (Lynette), Chace, Dane, Jake, Jane, Tobe, and Alyson. She was preceded in death by her parents and brother Michael Coray Bean. A viewing will be held Wed., July 30, 2008, from 6-8 p.m. at the Mountain Point 5th Ward located at 400 East Stokes Avenue (13535 S.) in Draper. Funeral services will be Thurs., July 31, 2008, at 12 noon at the Mountain Point 5th Ward Chapel with a viewing beginning at 10:30 a.m. Interment at Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 E. 10600 S., Sandy, Utah. Funeral director, Mike Anderson 801-580-3366. Online condolences at www.naeo@aol.com. We will miss you Mom ("Grandma Kathy"), but we are comforted by the knowledge the gospel provides that you will be near during special occasions and those special times when we need you the most.
Published in the Salt Lake Tribune from 7/29/2008 - 7/30/200


This is the picture she asked us to put on her obituary. We didn't know if people would recognize her so I decided to add it on this post.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Her photo is beautiful. I can see why she wanted it. But, she is still beautiful.You all wrote a very thoughtful, loving tribute to her. Maybe she even helped to write it. She was a very busy woman. I love you guys. Hopefully, this will post correctly as I am not good at this stuff! Barb D.

Jamie Densley Fieber said...

What a priceless picture! I know that there are no words to bring you comfort but I prayed that my mom would be there to greet your mom. I'm sure she was there and that you're mom will always be closer than you know.

Barb said...

Josh, family,
Ok finally I remembered my username........duh! It's been an awful 2 days. Probably the longest of my life! Now I know what you're saying. She was miserable but she was there for us. Probably selfish of us, but she was THERE! We knew she would go but I had no idea how empty I would feel when it finally happened. I truly understand all of your pain. It does hurt. I am so happy for her but it does hurt us.
While I sat here Sunday by myself I kept looking up and saying 'is this a joke'? Of course I was talking to my dad, mom, Mike and Kathy. Were they playing tricks on us? Guess not.
I love all of you. And Josh, I looked forward every day to your blog. When I couldn't be there I knew what was happening........ I think I will miss it if you stop.?.
Ok I'm venting now!
Be strong! See you tomorrow
Barbie

jamin said...

Josh,
I just wanted to thank you for blogging Kat Bean's experience. It proves just how strong your mother was. It was an honor to know her.
You are an amazing person, and I know Kat Bean appreciated everything you did for her.
I hope to see you tonight or Thursday.
love, Jamin

Debbie said...

Josh, This is for Barb. I agree with all you said. Yesterday, I thought, "I have to call Kathy to tell her a funny thing". (You know she loves funny stories!) Then I had to think, Oh, I can't. It continues to shock us all that she is not here. You must be feeling so alone right now. Anytime you want to talk, just call me!

CEA-CRA said...

Hi Earl & family,
Evan and Carol Allred here. We are devastated to hear of all of this. (For this kid's info, we are friends from way back when, during the Gary & Raynee Bengtzen era.) So sorry we haven't kept in closer touch. We are not very good at it. But glad you have so many good people to be there for you. It is so great that she had so many family members close by to take such good care of her and can be there for each other now. We wish she had not had to go through this at all, but wouldn't wish her back in that condition. So long Kathy, til we meet again! "Death is but a shadow between sunlight and sunlight."

Becky, yep said...

I can hardly believe how quickly this all happened. I'm so grateful that you guys made time for my family to come over and essentially say goodbye.
I also feel grateful that her pain has ended!

I can picture her parents and their welcoming arms as she entered heaven!

Ashleigh said...

Dear Josh,
I am a patients over at Aspen Ridge Dental. Your mom was always so kind to my kids, and fun to talk with. I had no idea that she was ill. My eyes are filled with tears reading all about what you have been through. As a mother though, part of me hopes that my children will write such deep felt emotions about me as you have for your mom. You loved her with every part of your being, and that was the greatest gift that you could have ever given her. You are in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing your story.

The Gatherum Family said...

Josh,
You did an amazing job on your musical number and talk. I know your mom is so very proud of you-You are such an inspiration and example of love and strength-I am so grateful you have shared your experiences with the rest of us-You have so influenced me with your strength during this trial-I am so impressed. You will continue to feel your sweet mom's love in your life...I know you will...I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to pray for peace for all of you. Love, Adrian

Debbie said...

What a good job you all did, Josh! Again tell Megan how appreciated she has been by everyone. You two are such special people. I konw your mom was there today. Much love!

Brooke said...

Just wanted to let you guys know I am thinking of you. I remember waking up the days after my sister and mom's funeral and thinking, "so what do I do now?" My family said the funeral was beautiful. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there. Please keep in touch and know that I will do anything I can to help.

Dawn said...

Dawn and family,

Dawn, when you called Sunday morning, I looked at caller ID first and I knew instantly your mom had passed away and that pain of hearing it was so real. I ached for you, since I've gone through that twice myself. We were leaving out of town in only 45 min. and a part of me wanted to stay to help, comfort or do whatever I could. (And the other part of me said, "you better go on vacation with your family or else they'll kill you.") I thought of all of you while we were camping. When you're in nature I think you feel closer to Heavenly Father and your surroundings. I thought of how busy you would be preparing, although I know Dawn's a planner like your mom, and how bitter/sweet the week would be. I'm sure tears, laughter, and lots of memories were all part of the week. I'm so sorry I missed the funeral and the opportunity to help out but I've heard wonderful comments about it all. I heard that all you children spoke so well and that your mom was your best friend. I heard about the grand-children singing and how wonderful that was. I heard about the pictures and how beautiful it was all decorated (which I'm sure Dawn has something to do with) and how many people were able to attend. I'm so sad for all of you but so happy that your mom is out of pain and suffering. She was a wonderful, wonderful woman and a great example to me as a friend. ( I'm sorry Aaron, but it won't be the same coming to the dentist because I won't have Kathy to talk to the whole time!)

I have to tell you an experience I had the morning your mom passed away. I had stayed up late Saturday packing for our trip to Washington, and I got to bed about 12:30 am. Our dog, shasta, never ever whines in the middle of the night and I heard him whining at 3:07 am and thought, "you're kidding me, what is wrong with him?" I got up and saw him circling the front door so I let him out, with leash in hand in case he saw something and ran. He looked around frantically and did nothing. I thought "oh brother" then he went potty and we came back into the house. He then ran for the back door and I thought again, "you've got to be kidding, we're leaving in less than 3 hours." So I let him out on the back deck and we just sat there in the warmth of the night. As I looked over at Dawn's house, behind us, I just thought about your mom and wondered if this will be the night I see lights come on and if I'll find out Kathy's left this earth. Dawn kept saying to me that "I know she'll pass away when you're on vacation." I felt at peace but a tear came to my eye as I thought of how hard that will be and how I miss my own mom. It's been 13 years since my mom passed and sometimes it feels like yesterday. I do know that they are happy and out of pain so that brings comfort and peace but the days and weeks following a death can be so much like a roller coaster, with ups and downs you never expected. I pray it will be more ups for all of you and if there's anything at all I can ever do, just ask. I know there's still plenty to do afterwards so please use me.

I’m so grateful for the gospel and how it brings us peace and comfort in times like this. Thanks for being great examples by just loving your mom. What a great tribute to her and how much she is in each of you. Her legacy will live through you.

Love, Lynn Harris and family