Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Normal Day???

Today was good. I'm gradually easing into getting used to this "new normal." By that I mean things have been so different since my Mom got sick that I just wish things were back to the way they were. Sitting around making sure my Mom is taken care of is normal for me now. Today, however, it felt kind of like it used to. First of all, my Mom looks great. She looks like my Mom again! Her face has color. Her expressions are lively. She jokes. She smiles. It was amazing how "normal" I felt with her today.

My Mom didn't feel any pain today. She didn't have a whole lot of energy, but she was very relaxed. I was in and out of the house for most of the morning but my sisters were with her and she had a huge number of visitors today. I spent most of the afternoon and evening just hangin' with her. Even now I'm sitting in the living room with her watching TV and she is helping Megan with extradition work. She still feels great after a busy day.

She was checking her email today with our dog, Dudley sleeping by her feet. This is how I used to find her when I would just come over for a visit before all this cancer business. Glad you're back Mom! You're doing awesome!

5 comments:

amanda said...

I know what you mean. Is this really happening because she seems so good right now. I like the green happy pills:)

Becky, yep said...

I'm so excited to come over on Monday! I'm also so glad that you're doing so many 'good day' posts lately!
See you Monday, Kathy!

Brooke said...

I'm so glad that the steriods are helping your mom feel better! She so deserves some relief. Hope to hear about many more good days to come.

Dawn said...

This is quite the roller coaster ride - lots of ups and downs. I love the ups. Let's keep them consistent.

Keep post'n Josh - and if you check this blog - keep the comments coming - you have no idea what your comments do for our family. I love you Mom. See you in a few hours.

The Brannon Family said...

I wanted to share this with you. My sister Amy has been following a blog of a 15 year old, Tae, also battling cancer. She shared this with me and I thought it was very appropriate to share with you and your family. Here is an excerpt from Tae’s blog, a posting that her dad made.

“I received an email sometime back full of sympathy for Tae and mentioned how sad they were that Tae was losing the battle with cancer. It struck me as something quite different from what Tae has been telling us and our current experience. Tae is certain that cancer is not winning this battle and despite not making the 5 years remission period when a cancer patient is considered a survivor she is so sure that for her even dying is not losing. This journey has been one of faith and she continues to share and live her faith that God has blessed her through this whole experience and He either heals her or takes her home. In Tae's context, surviving cancer is so much more then just beating the physical ravages of cancer but it is living in the knowledge that despite the physical deterioration, the love that abounds around her and the strengthened spirit - refined through fire, have given her the strength to remain strong and positive. She is also certain that surviving cancer is more then a 5 year window - it is realizing that cancer can't take away the things that really matter and cannot prevent you living for eternity.”

Here is a link to her blog if anyone is interested… http://www.taekamifund.org/

Your family is strong and I know that cancer cannot take away the things that are most important to you! Stay strong and know that you are in my prayers.

Kim Tate Brannon