Friday, July 25, 2008

She's Still Fighting Whether She Wants To Or Not...

As things start to wind down in my Mom's life, acceptance is beginning to set in for everyone. We all want what my Mom wants. And she just wants to be released. She still gets out of bed everyday and wants her children around. The hospice nurse told her that she is actually still fighting to stay alive because she won't just stay in bed. The fact that she still wants to join us everyday says that she is not ready to die. She actually may still have a few more weeks. This news brought my Mom down. But we all kind of laughed at how ridiculous that sounds. We spend each day just hanging out in her room. Although today she spent most of the time in a different bedroom so she could look outside into her front yard. She wanted to see her nephews, Tanner and Sam, in the 24th of July parade. (To those not from Utah: It's sort of like independence day, but for the state of Utah.) She liked the change of scenery so she stayed in that room all day. I once again left her, it was my wife's and my wedding anniversary yesterday so we went out on a date. But my sisters told me that she did her usual routine of sitting with her eyes closed, smiling and listening to her kids talk. I came home and hung out with her til we said family prayers and then I helped her into bed again. I said goodnight and left for work. Now I am home and still, she is with us and we are all very grateful for each day we get with her....even if she isn't very happy about it. : )


The other night my brother Adam and I played the song he wrote for her. She loves to listen to it. He is a great song writer.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Josh, if it seems we are all speechless - well, we are. This is so painful for all of us. But your family is close and strong and doing just what your mom would want you to. Keep using the strength you all are blessed with and know we who are reading this ALL LOVE YOU.