Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mom's Talking!! But Saying Goodbye...

(Sorry everybody. I'm posting this so late because the internet is down at my parents house. It will be fixed today hopefully. I drove to my house to post this. It's long, sorry again.)


Waiting.... that's where we are. We are just waiting for the inevitable to happen and my Mom is anxiously looking forward to it. She didn't say much today. She spent the whole day in her wheelchair in the same spot with her eyes closed surrounded by her children. I couldn't tell if she was quietly bothered by all of us or if she was just enjoying our company silently, but nevertheless, we hung around her and we weren't going to leave her. I didn't really say anything to her all day. I could have been somewhere else for all she knew but I stayed in her room just to be close to her. I used to sit and talk to my Mom all day. This was when she had energy for things like doing yard work or driving a car or carrying a conversation. Now she doesn't even have the energy to pick up a small styrofoam cup of water. As the day slowly drifted into night I noticed a little bit of life in her start to show itself. All of my sisters left and she began to talk to me. She wasn't necessarily being her perky positive self, but her unmistakeable humor was there to disguise the negative undertones of what she was saying. "Now, if you pray tonight to keep me alive for another day, I'm going to be very ticked off at you." She said. "OK Mom. But don't expect me to sneak into your room tonight and smother you with a pillow either." I replied with a smile, fully understanding how appalling this conversation was, but enjoying the rare opportunity to joke around with my Mom once again. "Oh come on!" She said with a bratty whine. I laughed really hard at this. But deep down I was... and wasn't surprised at how well my Mom was handling the situation. Who else could joke like this? Only a descendent of Ralph Bean could be this witty so close to the end. (Ralph is my Mom's dad and those who knew him could agree on this.)

We talked like this for a little while til it was time for her to go to bed. I could tell she was dreading this. She always does. My Dad and I placed her footstool next to the bed and wheeled her over. We helped her out of her chair and as I held her back so she wouldn't fall, my Dad lifted her feet onto the stool. From there we lifted her onto the bed sitting upright. Then I pulled her up while my Dad lifted her legs up one by one and we pivoted her into her pillows that were placed properly so she would be sitting upright in bed. This whole process takes everything out of her and it kills me to hear each painful moan pass her lips as she is pulled and pushed by my Dad and I. But in the end it's all worth it to see her in her own bed relaxed and comfortable.

We gave her her pills but none of us could say goodnight yet. She had a strong feeling that tonight would be "The Night." We started to talk again. "How do you do it Mom? How are you handling all of this so well? You never complain or whine." I said. "I don't want to be remembered as a complainer. I hope you won't remember me that way." She replied. She hasn't complained at all. At least not that I've heard. Just then my sisters, Ashley and Amanda walked in. They joined us for a nice talk with my Mom. I think they were a little surprised to see her talking so much. She said she hoped that her parents and brother would come get her tonight. We all started to cry. I checked the clock and realized that I should have left for work by now, but this was too important to walk away from, especially for work. I left the room to call my boss to tell her I'd be a little late. When I returned, my sisters, Dad, and wife Megan were all in the hallway outside my Mom's room. They were crying and talking to my Dad. I knew that they had said goodnight to my Mom already. So I slowly walked in and there was my Mom smiling at me. She looked so beautiful. I thought that this might be my last time talking to my Mom. This thought brought many tears and no use holding back now. I ran to her and gave her the biggest hug I've ever given her. She whispered into my ear, "I love you so much Joshie. You have been the best son and I'm so proud of you. Please don't be sad." I couldn't help it though. I WAS sad. My Mom means so much to me. I'll never fully be ready to let her go. I told her how much I loved her and how I'll miss her everyday. She squeezed my hand and with tears rolling down her cheek she said, "I'll miss you too, Josh." I hugged her again and began to walk away but I couldn't let go of her hand. I finally did though and said goodnight.

I drove to work with a clear mind. I love my Mom but I know that she is ready to go. And if she's OK with it, then I am too. I kept looking to the sky watching the lightning in the distance and I said a prayer for comfort for myself. Something I haven't asked for yet. Now I'm home from work, it's 3:14 AM, and so far so good. My Mom was sure about tonight but we all know it's not up to her. Even if we did jump the gun with our goodbyes, it still feels good to get a chance to say them. I feel at peace with the whole situation tonight. Maybe I am starting to receive the comfort I asked for.

I wrote this after work last night. Just a quick update, Mom is still here.

9 comments:

Ann said...

Oh Josh, I felt like last night was going to be the night too and I am not even there with all of you. I am so very touched by your blogs and your love for your mother. How lucky she has been to have you and all her other children. To be able to look up and see each of you...what a joy it is to her. Freddie, I wish I was there to comfort you and give you strength.

I have felt my mom with me the past two days.....they are so close to us even if we can't see them. She knows that Kathy is coming soon.

Kathy I pray for your comfort and peace.

Jillie Ann

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just came across this blog. I work at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and I tell ya those patients are amazing. I'm not sure if I have ever heard one complain. My prayers are with you and your family.

Janet Stevens said...

Josh,

Thank you for your heartfelt comments. I read this every day, and your entire family is in my thoughts at this time. Your mother is an incredible person--but you know that already! And you have a truly wonderful family! I could feel the love so strongly in your parents' home when we visited your Mom a few weeks ago--it is a beautiful thing. Sending you all much love and prayers,

Janet Tate Stevens (Chuck and Dianne's daughter)

Donna said...

Hi Kathy,
I just wanted to send you my love and my good-bye. You have been a good friend through the years. I am remembering with fondness the times we have spent together doing musicals and Relief Society work. We were a good team I think. I will look forward to doing some other big production with you on the other side. What fun that will be. We will be able to use an angel chorus, and there will be no more good-byes. Till then, I send my love.
Donna Moyer

The Brannon Family said...

I am at a loss for words, but feel compelled to let you know that I am thinking of you all. I pray your mom will find the rest and peace that she longs for, and that you all receive the comfort and peace you deserve. I have been so touched and moved by the love and service you all have given your mom. Yet I know you and your family would do nothing less. It is such a tribute to your mom and the incredible family she built.

She will always live on through her kids and all those she touched. What a legacy she will leave behind!

Thank you for letting all of us join your journey through this blog. It has been such a gift.

Kim Brannon

The Gatherum Family said...

I am glad the comfort is coming Josh. Keep praying for it for yourself and for your family. It will pull you through. Heavenly Father is aware of you, more then you realize now and He will continue to be...I look back and see the many, MANY times He carried me and helped me and continues to life me up. I know He knows me, I know He knows you and each member of your family right now, especially your sweet, beautiful mom. GIve her a hug for me...

Cyndie Manning said...

Kathy,
You're a wonderful, strong, organized, tremendous woman and friend. I have loved knowing you and working with you over the years. I can use those words with confidence, because I know that even though your body has wimped out on you, your spirit inside is still as vibrant and bright as ever, likely even more so.

I looked up to you when I used to babysit your children--before Josh and Adam were even born. Jenn was almost old enough to not need a babysitter, and we had a lot of fun as a result. As a youth in the Butler 8th ward, I looked up to you and wanted to be like you.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with you on several Butler Stake musicals. Li'l Abner was pure joy, as I worked closely with you and the girls. Finian and Music Man were such fun, and your choreography was always delightful. Sequences with your special touch are many, but some of my favorites are the dance sequences of "Don't that take the rag off'n the bush?," "Sadie Hawkin's Day Race," Dawn's dance toward the end of Finian, as well as many lovely moments in Music Man with Ace and Dawn. Memories of all that hard work, and treasured relationships are cherished.

It's been fun recently to visit with you about Derek and Adam's missions. (Derek's Nauvoo wedding recently went off beautifully, and the open house we had in Draper last weekend was fantastic, and I'm glad it's over!)

I've loved seeing you at Aaron's office, and visiting through each of Lincoln's visits. I do not marvel that you could carry on an involved conversation and handle the phones and the desk with peak efficiency. I loved that time with you.

We know that bad things happen to good people. That's been happening since the beginning of time. We don't know why, but we know there are things each of us will learn through adversity. Life isn't fair, but our Heavenly Father will make everything right in the end, and we'll understand when our eyes are fully opened. I love that scripture in 1 Nephi (11:17) where Nephi says, "I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

The Sunday before your trip to the hospital was our Stake Conference and Elder Wirthlin showed up as a surprise speaker. He talked about how adversity would come and advised us to "hold on." Then there was this great comment that he said so quickly, I think most people missed it: "Much of the great work that happens in the world today is done by people who don't feel well." I guess that's been true of you for a while, and I know if you had your way, you'd still be working, regardless of how bad you felt. That great line is true when you listen with spiritual ears, too. So many people carry other burdens around and don't 'feel well,' yet they continue to work hard. This has given me personal comfort, as being a single parent brings many burdens and I often don't 'feel well.' I'm glad he gave us that good counsel to just hang on and keep doing the very best we can. I know that's exactly what you've been doing, and what you're family is doing right now, too.

Your friends and family will miss you terribly, for as has been said by many others who love you,

you're irreplaceable,

and loved more than can be expressed. How fortunate we all have been to have known you, and loved you, and learned from you. I know you will have a joyful reunion with your parents and brother, Mike, who I also remember fondly.

I will try to keep this eternal perspective as we send you off to the third and final act of this 3 act play that is the Plan of Salvation. Probably not a surprise that the choreographer and ultimate "behind the scenes" person that you are should go first to prepare things for the rest of us. I'll look forward to seeing you, and hopefully working with you, again in Act 3.

I love you, Kathy. God be with you 'til we meet again.

Love,
Cyndie Manning

Lynn Harris said...

Okay let's try this again. I just wanted to let you know how touched I've been reading this blog. Josh you should be a writer!! I cried like the best reading it to my husband. I felt like she's MY mom too. I'm so glad we have the gospel of Jesus Christ and that gives up hope and peace. Please tell Kathy hi for us. You are all in our prayers every day.
Love, The Harris'
(we live behind Dawn)

Unknown said...

Josh,

I have been out of town for the last 9 days but have kept track of your mother by reading your blog every day. Your entries have been very touching and I know that your mother is so proud of you. Please tell her how much I love her and treasure her friendship and that I'm sorry that I'm not there to tell her myself.

Marie Poulson